The Inner Circle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Inner CircleLog in

A discussion of motorcycles and lesser things.

OBDSTAR I scan

mode_editPost new topicreplyReply to topic
3 posters

descriptionOBDSTAR I scan EmptyOBDSTAR I scan

more_horiz
Is there any advantage to be had from this system over just using Guzzidiag ?

Dusty

descriptionOBDSTAR I scan EmptyRe: OBDSTAR I scan

more_horiz

Depends on your concept of "advantage". A windows tablet is far cheaper.

However, if you had 2021 or later V7/V9/V85, you might wish to part with the exorbitant asking price.

...also I'm not 100% convinced the ABS bleed stuff in GuzziDiag actually works for the ABS bikes...so there's that...

more_horiz
Thanks Mark . I told him to buy a compatible computer .

Dusty

more_horiz

Which bike?

more_horiz
beetle wrote:

Which bike?

It is the same 8 valve Norge we have been discussing for a year now , it started running like shyte again . It had Guzzidiag ran past it last fall , it needed plug wires . After that it ran well until a couple days ago , no idea what is wrong with it this time .

Dusty

more_horiz

Not worth the coin for a Norge. Go with GuzziDiag.

more_horiz
Dusty, flick me an email, get your mate in on it too, and let’s try and nut out what ails this POS. I don’t think it’s actually some sort of ‘Computer/white man ju-ku’ issue at all. I think it’s likely to be something far simpler.

more_horiz
Will do Pete . Be watching , thanks Mate .

Dusty

more_horiz
Pete , are you there , did the email come thru ?

Dusty

more_horiz
Yup, responded.

more_horiz
Mark and Pete , I really need a favor . having finally convinced the owner of this thing that one of the tools necessary to keep it running properly is a computer that will run Guzzidiag and that I am NOT the bloke who has the answers he has ordered a proper computer and has agreed to an email chain with the two of you where he can actually talk to the experts . If you guys agree maybe sometime in the next week or so after his computer has arrived you might be willing to help ? He is a good mate , and has mechanical skills but I am not the answer to his problems .

Thanks

Dusty

more_horiz
Of course. Not a problem.

more_horiz
Thanks Mark ,

Richard is a good mate , he has worked tirelessly for several years helping with the two
Cedar Vale rallies , and his conversion to Moto Guzzi is largely due to me , but we are at the limit of my knowledge regarding his motorbike .

Dusty

more_horiz
Having seen the comment about it needing plug caps I have to ask were they replaced with another air of factory caps/leads or did he go aftermarket? Also, after they were replaced have they been removed again and if so how? If they have been pulled or levered off from the top there is a very good chance they will have been damaged again. They tend to both tear the rubber at the right angle bend in the cap allowing the spark to arc to earth at the rocker cover or plug tube or the resistor can be cracked and go open circuit. Both of which will make the bike run like shit.

It's important to know that the way you remove the plug caps is to lever them off the plug from underneath by inserting a long, thin screwdriver through the cooling tunnel in the head just above the exhaust manifold. You can poke around until you feel the rubber of the cap and then hook the blade underneath the bottom of the cap and lever the cap up uff the plug. Once the terminal has popped off the top of the plug electrode then and only then do you pull the cap up and out of the plug tunnel. Lubing the bottom of the cap lightly with rubber grease before it is reinstalled will assist in its removal next time but the important thing is making sure it is levered off the plug before any force is exerted on the neck of the cap where it joins the lead.

NGK used to make some plug caps, SB05E or F that could be substituted for the factory caps. They are no longer in production but another company has started making doppelgänger caps. I'll dig out the details if needed.

more_horiz
No idea Pete .

I do have a question , do 2014 Norges have a cylinder head temp sensor ? I just spoke with Richard , it seems to run OK cold , it sounds exactly like a faulty temp sensor . Will doing an old fashioned "plug chop" work on these things , and will it do any harm ?

Dusty

more_horiz
The engine temperature sensor sits in the valley at the base of the RH cylinder. They are very reliable.

What will a plug chop achieve? Not a lot as the mixture is going to be all fucked up by residual fuel left over from when it isn't firing. I'm still thinking it's something simple and *Mechanical* rather than *Electronic* per-se.

more_horiz
before I even bother , is there a way to run Guzzidiag using an Apple pooter ?

Dusty

more_horiz
Yes, you can. It's just it has a history of being more problematic than with Windoze

more_horiz

Which version of MacOS? Some pooter nerd stuff is required.

more_horiz
I'm a nerd , just not of the pooter variety .

It doesn't matter anyway but thanks fellas , we can't get any cooperation on my end so time for a break for this Injun boy .

Thanks mates , seriously .

Dusty

more_horiz
No worries. I did reply to him a couple of times but then communication ceased. Dunno if he thought I was going to be able to wave a magic wand?

more_horiz
Pete , I think he is just waiting for his recently purchased pooter to show up . He bought it thru another Guzzi rider who is connected but didn't realize it wouldn't ship until this coming Monday.
He seems to be at a loss and honestly I can't help him much , plus he had a rough year financially last year . He sold his beloved Ambo he had put so much time into relieving some pressure but he is still being really careful .

I've been so busy replumbing our old house and getting ready for the rally next month that being much use to anyone else is a struggle .

Dusty

more_horiz
No worries. Tell him to stay in touch. If I can help I will.

more_horiz
I'm sure he'll be in communication before long . He has some critter living in the crawl space above his carport that is causing some issues at the moment , plus he's one of those poor blokes whose life is complicated by too many women including his mum Laughing

Dusty

more_horiz
Pete , be watching for an email , Mark , he is having trouble getting Guzzidiag to load . Told him to contact you guys directly . Thanks

Dusty

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum
replyReply to topic